A bulwark is a defensive structure designed to protect the side of a ship or fortification. A bulwark can be made from either timber, masonry, earthworks or stone and it was usually constructed with several layers of these materials that were built up in front of one another (similar to an earthen rampart).
A “bulwark” is a defensive fortification. A bulwark is designed to protect the land behind it, and prevent attackers from advancing. The word bulwark comes from the Old French word “bouclier”, which means shield or breastplate.
A rampart is a defensive wall made of earth or other materials. Religion was his bulwark, someone or something who provided great support or encouragement in times of need, danger, or uncertainty.
Similarly, one may wonder what a bulwark looks like.
A bulwark is a barrier that runs perpendicular to the coast and protects the beach from erosion rather than intruders. The term bulwark may refer to any fortified wall, although it is most often used to refer to an earthen wall, such as a rampart.
Furthermore, how do you pronounce bulwark? “The Pronunciation Unit proposes BUUL-wuhrk as a pronunciation.” According to pronunciation dictionaries, the above pronunciation of ‘bulwark’ (the word) is the standard British English pronunciation, while alternative acceptable pronunciations include BUL- (as in ‘cup’) at first and -WURK (as in ‘her’) at the end.
Similarly, how do you utilize the word bulwark in a sentence?
Examples of Sentences
- The colony was effective as a bulwark against the Spanish, but it was a failure as an economic experiment.
- This charter served as a model for other provinces and a bulwark for the Netherlands’ rights.
What section of speech does bulwark belong in?
|portion of a sentence:||noun|
|Combinations of words Feature of Subscribers Regarding this feature|
|portion of a sentence:||verb that is transitive|
|inflections:||bulwarks, bulwarks, bulwarks, bulwarks, bulwarks, bulwarks,|
|definition:||a bulwark or a bulwark-like structure that provides protection. comparable words: buttress, fortify, mound, reinforce synonyms: rampart|
Answers to Related Questions
What does it mean to be desperate?
The term bulwark is defined as a structure that serves as a barrier between two points (This is the first of two entries.) 1a: a rampart is a solid wall-like structure erected for protection. b: a breakwater or barrier that serves as a harbor bulwark. 2: a strong commitment to the safeguarding of democratic values that serve as a deterrent to tyranny and a bulwark for liberty.
On a ship, what is a bulwark?
Bulwark: The planking along the sides of a ship, above the upper deck and below the gunwales, that serves as a railing to keep crew and passengers from going overboard.
In the Bible, what is a buckler?
1a: a little spherical shield held at arm’s length with a handle. A shield worn on the left arm is referred to as b. 2: one who defends and shields.
What is the best way to take out the bulwark?
Paling Around with
After speaking with Hammerlock at the lodge, go south of the region to the Bullymong lair near the boat docks, where you must slay the purported bulletproof Bulwark. Go north after passing through the big bones protruding from the ground, and the Bullymongs will attack.
What is the proper meaning of ramparts?
Rampart is a term used to describe a defensive structure. 1: bulwark is a defensive barrier. 2: a fortification consisting of a large embankment topped by a parapet. 3: a ridge that resembles a wall (as of rock fragments, earth, or debris)
What is the best way to utilize the term harbinger in a sentence?
Examples of Sentences
- The American flag seemed to be seen as a portent of a new age by the people.
- Damian cocked his head, refusing to be amused by the strange harbinger of terrible news.
What is the best way to utilize the word estuary in a sentence?
estuary Examples of Sentences
- The Gabun, which is really a sea estuary, is located just north of the equator.
- The Fitzmaurice, which empties into the Victoria Estuary, is likewise a major stream.
- The magnificent port of Le Havre is located at the mouth of the Seine river, which flows eastward into the Seine bay.
What is the best way to utilize the word canard in a sentence?
Bruni had them canceled, according to the French daily Le Canard Enchain, since they were scheduled within six days of an Aids charity event. The rumor of an armed gang around the bank was a hoax. Unfortunately, it is a fabrication concocted by my bitterest foes.
In a sentence, how do you employ circumlocution?
Examples of Sentences
- His written compositions were well-received in his day and for a long time thereafter, but they are marred by evident straining for impact, as well as frequent puerility and circumlocution.
- Swift imbued the Scriblerus Club with his aversion to pedantry, cant, and circumlocution.
What is the best way to utilize the word defunct in a sentence?
They’re all volcanic, and some of them are little more than a jumble of extinct craters. I do not believe it is vital for our boys to learn these extinct languages. Before the conclusion of the sixth game, your bank may be bankrupt. We don’t need to speak anything about David the defunct’s outstanding paintings.
What is the best way to utilize the word hummock in a sentence?
I tripped over a hummock of stiff grass many times, and once I fell into a brook up to my shoulders. 6. At that hour, the vast swath of dune-land, with its hummocks and scrubby grass rising out of the sand, was abandoned.
What is the best way to utilize the term citadel in a sentence?
citadel Examples of Sentences
- Pope Paul III constructed the citadel.
- To rule the town, Alexander erected the Acra castle and stationed a large Greek force there.
- The citadel of the old city was used to fill up the historic port in 1879, although Larnaca now stands on the location of the ancient Citium.
What is the best way to utilize the word mandate in a sentence?
In a sentence, examples of mandate
— Time, 19 May 2003, Karen Tumulty Royal orders must be followed. They followed through on the governor’s order to construct extra roadways. He thought he had been granted a mandate for change after winning the election so handily.
What is the best way to utilize the word aficionado in a sentence?
Examples of Sentences
- He was a well-known art collector.
- He was a guy of broad knowledge, an art and music enthusiast, and a friend of most of his time’s major writers.
- Nils Fredrik Sander, a poet, antiquary, and connoisseur, was a typical academician (1828-1900).
What is a synonym for the word Bastion?
Citadel is a synonym for bastion, which is a projecting section of a rampart or other fortification.
What is a synonym for the word shield?
shield(n) gis, buckler, escutcheon, scutcheon, pavise, scutum, defense, protection, palladium, bulwark, safeguard Synonyms: gis, buckler, escutcheon, scutcheon, pavise, scutum, palladium, bulwark, safeguard scutal, bouche are terms that come to mind while thinking about this word.
Citadel is a word that is used in a sentence.
meaning and synonyms for citadel